From July 7-15, come support our summer interns as they raise funds to create a better world for endangered whooping cranes. We’re on a mission to raise $2.5 million to fund the construction of the Whooping Crane Center of Texas, an off-site whooping crane breeding facility that will be located a few miles from the Zoo. There, we’ll breed whooping cranes for release into the wild and will conduct research to continue to improve wild reintroduction efforts.
This is a huge conservation endeavor for the Dallas Zoo and as a nonprofit zoological park, we need your help! There are less than 800 whooping cranes left – in the wild and in human care. The DFW area serves as a pit stop for these Texas icons as a flock of about 400 cranes migrate annually from Canada to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge on the Texas Gulf Coast.
Money raised this week will benefit the Dallas Zoo's conservation efforts and will help our interns get closer to reaching their goal of raising $10,000 as a part of the Zoo's $2.5 million capital campaign for the Whooping Crane Center of Texas (WCCT).
Daily activities from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. throughout the park include:
ZooNorth Breezeway & Wilds of Africa Adventure Safari Station:
• Purchase specially designed whooping crane T-shirts ($15), stickers ($5), commemorative wristbands ($5), and original art inspired by cranes and their beauty.
• Contribute to our goal of 3,000 pledges for pro-environmental behavior that benefits whooping cranes.
• Round-up for whooping cranes in the gift shop knowing SSA has pledged all July round-ups to the intern whooping crane conservation campaign.
• Spread the word: Whooping cranes need our help now more than ever.
• Thursday, July 12, (6-9 p.m.) — El Fenix — 1601 McKinney Ave, Dallas, TX 75202 — Downtown Dallas Give Back Event (Pick up your flyer from the intern Conservation tables located in the Breezeway and the Wilds of Africa Adventure Safari Station. The flyer must be presented at the restaurant the night of the event to count towards our giveback.)
• Sunday, July 15, (8-9 a.m.) — Sunrise Yoga — $25 — (Check in 7:30 a.m.) — Dallas Zoo Flamingo Bridge. For Yogis 14 & up. Designed for all skill levels. Pre-registration: $25 per person. Register here: dallaszoo.com/event/sunrise-yoga-at-the-dallas-zoo/
• July 7-21, KEEP Collective — Online Give-Back Event — A designer from KEEP Collective, a customizable charm concept jewelry line, is hosting an online shopping event and will generously donate 25% of the sales placed July 7-21 to Dallas Zoo Wildlife Conservation. If you want to shop and support the Zoo, please check out the shop directly by going to keepcollective.com/soc/5m0pr
• Donate through PayPal.me/DallasZoo
— Out-of-town friends and family can now join the campaign with a simple click. Every dollar helps.
Thanks for doing your part to create a better world for these iconic Texas birds.